Reflections part 1

Perhaps I am being a fool and starting to believe my own hype or maybe it's because I'm gaining massively in confidence and shedding my inferiority complex, but something very strange has happened; I now believe that one day before I die I will have a girlfriend.

Now, aside from the obvious routes of mail-order brides and Amsterdam, I have never before entertained the idea of ever even touching a girl, never deluding myself that the day would ever come when one would let me come close enough.

But the strange thing about being away from home is that, in many ways it's like one of those out-of-body experiences you see in cartoons where the body is laying in the coffin and the spirit is floating away looking back and contemplating his life thus far.

And I've definitely been contemplating mine.

With this outside view of myself, I've realised that, in truth, I'm not that bad. I've already pointed out all my good points before and, reading over them, I challenge anyone to dispute any of them. I am as good as I say I am and I'm only just now beginning to realise that.

All those things which at home I thought were faults, are actually just the quirks that make me who I am.

And who I am is a lonely single guy, who has let his perception of himself become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

blog comments powered by Disqus