Devout

Carnival in both Trinidad and Brazil traditionally occur in the build up to Ash Wednesday, just preceding Lent. The idea is that the faithful get all the partying out of their system before fasting for 40 days leading to Easter. Pretty much what happens every night in preparation for the next day's fasting during Ramadan in Kuwait I hear.

Luckily most people are more than happy to get down with the partying bit and leave the praying bit to the bald guys.

These days, in this 40 days it is still customary to abstain from one sinful thing in that time, like a new years resolution that only lasts 40 days, and after waking up with one hell of a headache after 7 days of straight partying in Trinidad with a bottle of Fernandez Black Label every day for breakfast, I figured that the stuff would probably count as sinful, so until Easter I'm not touching the stuff.

Luckily you can't actually get Fernandez Black Label rum in the UK so that shouldn't be too hard then, but as I'm due to appear in carnival in Brussels at the beginning of April, I am not about to put in a blanket rum ban now am I?

I don't even like God...
blog comments powered by Disqus