Mexicans

One of the last times I went out in Madrid was with my flatmate the Peruvian Gonzalo.

It was his Mexican coursemates birthday, so we met up in a bar in Santa Ana and hid from the sun under one of the umbrellas (sorry everyone in England I had to write this) and drank much of the night away with other South Americans.

That night was brilliant, I met this Chilean guy whose accent I just couldn't make out at all ("he's talking ENGLISH, Andy" "Oh") and hung out with some really attractive Mexican girls.

At one point, I asked the gorgeous girl I was sat next to about Mexico.

"So," I said, "Would you say it is safe to walk around in Mexico City as a westerner?"

She started to tell me that the place is a lot safer now than it used to be, then stopped herself and said

"...except for kidnappings which are still a bit of a problem."

So I say, "Have you ever been kidnapped?"

"Yes of course" she said as though I had asked her if she had ever eaten a fajita, "most people I know know someone who has been kidnapped actually"

Oh.

So I turn to the guy behind me and say,

"Scuse me guv, you're from Mexico right? Have you ever been kidnapped?"

"No not me," he says,

*phew*

"...but my sister has."

Fuckin hell it sounds like a national pastime! Not quite able to believe this, I stopped everyone and asked if any Mexicans there did NOT have a close relation who had been kidnapped.

They sort of looked around sheepishly, as though I had asked if anyone had syphilis, before getting straight back to their drinks.

The other day, I done a rare act. I actually done something sensible! Yes that's right, I turned down the job in Egypt, probably on pain of international ostracism but I thought that was better than risking 2 years of boredom and blogs like >>>this one<<<

So now I'm on the warpath again, lookin for jobs. Mexico is obviously even more tempting after that night and I am likely to turn down a job here in the UK that I interviewed for on Friday, because it was so boring I could see myself swinging from the rafters after a term. On the menu of potential places, include India, Peru, Romania, China and Honduras.

Watch this space.
blog comments powered by Disqus