My bread dillemma: day 1

I think I have a problem in my kitchen.

I was told last time I was here that Bimbo bread was so crammed with e-numbers that it lasts for ages.

Being a little hyperactive, I made a mental note to avoid the stuff on my return, despite the fact I'd love to have a bimbo in my cupboard, and I went out in the first couple of days and bought a loaf of El Corte Ingles Sin Corteza Bread.

Thing is that I arrived on the 20th of January, over 2 weeks ago and the loaf of bread, half eaten is still immaculate, without a sign of any mould on it at all. In Kuwait it would have gone mouldy by the 19th.

Looking at the ingredients, it contains E-282 (Calcium propionate). A quick look on Wikipedia reveals that E-282 has been linked to irritability, restlessness, inattention, and sleep disturbance in children and is slightly toxic as a pesticide. Calcium propionate can be used as a pesticide.

The UK Food guide says that E-282 has been linked to Migraines.

It also contains E-200, Sorbic Acid, which is a natural preservative. It is also a possible skin irritant and not approved for use in Australia according to the UK food guide

So I'm left with this dilemma.

I don't like to waste food and the fact it's lasted so long means that technically it's a bargain - and I DEFINITELY don't like to waste bargains.

So what do I do?

There's nothing wrong with it. It's still as soft as the day I bought it.

It just happens to be nearly 3 weeks old.

blog comments powered by Disqus